Slow-cooked ricotta and spinach-stuffed cabbage
1 cup(s), (8 large leaves)
Reduced-fat ricotta cheese
Baby spinach leaves
1½ cup(s), (30g), chopped
4 individual, thinly sliced
Grated parmesan cheese
½ cup(s), (40g), divided
1 cup(s), (260g)
- Place cabbage leaves on a large microwave-safe plate. Cover with damp paper towel and microwave on High (100%) for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Transfer cabbage leaves to a chopping board. When cool enough to handle, trim thick ribs at the base of leaves.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, combine ricotta, spinach, shallots, egg, nutmeg and ¼ cup parmesan in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place ⅓ cup ricotta mixture in centre of each cabbage leaf, fold in sides and roll up to enclose filling.
- Place cabbage rolls, seam-side down in a 5.5 litre (22-cup) slow cooker. Pour passata evenly over rolls. Cover with lid and cook on low for 7 hours (or high for 4 hours), until cabbage is tender.
- Serve rolls sprinkled with remaining parmesan.