Sicilian-style spaghetti with sardines
High fibre wholemeal bread
35 g, (½ cup) made from high-fibre wholemeal bread
6 medium, cleaned, filleted (220g)
2 clove(s), finely chopped
1 medium, chopped
2 medium, chopped
Dried chilli flakes
⅛ tsp, (pinch)
Fresh flat-leaf parsley
⅓ cup(s), chopped
¼ cup(s), (60 ml)
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, until just tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook breadcrumbs, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in same cleaned pan over medium-high heat. Cook sardines for 1 minute each side or until just cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic, eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini and chilli, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Add spaghetti, sardines, parsley, juice and sultanas to pan and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with breadcrumbs.