Ricotta and honey rolls with rosewater syrup
With only a few simple ingredients, you can create fancy looking dessert that is packed with healthy protein and nuts.
60 ml, rosewater
Reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1½ cup(s), (360g)
¼ cup(s), (90g)
10 g, (1 tbs)
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine ricotta, cinnamon and half the honey in a medium bowl.
- Lightly spray 1 sheet of filo with oil. Fold in half widthways, then in half widthways again to form a 22 x 14cm rectangle. Place 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture along 1 long end of pastry, leaving a 2cm border on both sides. Fold in sides, then roll up to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining ricotta mixture and filo to make 7 more rolls.
- Place rolls on prepared tray and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, place rosewater and remaining honey in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High (100%) for 10 seconds or until smooth and combined.
- Sprinkle rolls with walnuts and pistachios. Spoon over a little rosewater syrup to serve.
TIPS: We used pure rosewater for this recipe. If unavailable you can use 1 teaspoon rosewater essence mixed with 1 tablespoon water. It is quicker and easier to measure honey if you gently heat the jar or container in the microwave first. Chop the walnuts and pistachios while the rolls are baking.