Rebecca's lemon and blueberry syrup cake
Fresh lemon rind
2 tsp, finely grated
8 individual, pitted, chopped
99% fat-free plain yoghurt
½ cup(s), (120g)
Wholemeal self-raising flour
1 cup(s), (160g)
1 cup(s), (160g) or frozen
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Lightly spray a 23 cm square cake tin with oil and line base and sides with baking paper.
- To make lemon syrup, stir 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest with icing sugar in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Combine dates with 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High (100%) for 1 minute, then drain and mash dates into a paste.
- Whisk date paste, eggs, yoghurt and remaining lemon juice and zest together in a large bowl. Gently fold in flour, then stir in blueberries until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 25–30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- While cake is still hot in tin, use a fork to pierce holes all over the top. Pour reserved lemon syrup over hot cake. Cool cake completely in tin before turning out. Cut into 16 pieces to serve.