Individual chicken and spring vegetable pies
1 whole, end trimmed, washed, finely sliced
Skinless chicken thigh
500 g, cut into 2cm cubes
3 slice(s), (3 x 25g slices), halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
1 tbs, chopped
Fresh bay leaf
300 g, (1 bunch Dutch carrots), ends trimmed, halved
1 bunch(es), ends trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
100 g, (Swiss browns), quartered
120 g, baby leaves
Chicken stock cube
1 individual, dissolved in 250ml hot water
1 cup(s), (250ml)
Fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tbs, chopped
Frozen green peas
3 cup(s), lightly steamed
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 210°C. Spray 6 x 1¼ cup capacity oven-proof ramekins with oil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add leek and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until soft. Increase heat to high and add chicken, bacon, thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and cook until chicken is golden.
- Add carrots, asparagus and mushrooms and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Pour in stock and milk and allow to come to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Add spinach leaves and cook for a further 30 seconds, allowing leaves to wilt.
- In a separate bowl combine flour with 2 tbs water and mix to form a smooth paste. Stir into chicken mixture along with parsley. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until thick. Taste to season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove bay leaf.
- Spoon chicken mixture into prepared ramekins. Cut pastry to make 6 equal squares. Place a pastry square on top of each ramekin and press down edges to seal. Trim excess pastry around each ramekin rim to fit ramekins. Bake in pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and pastry is puffed and golden. Serve with steamed peas.