Hainanese chicken rice
salt reduced chicken stock
2 cup(s), (500ml)
Pandaroo Chinese Cooking Wine
40 ml, 2ybs
2 tbs, 8cm piece
540 g, (Buy 1.2kg) fat trimmed
¼ cup(s), (60ml)
Chinese cabbage (wombok)
2 cup(s), finely shredded
½ cup(s), sprigs
cooked brown rice
2 cup(s), steamed, heated
1 medium, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- Bring 2L (8 cups) water, stock, wine and salt to the boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Meanwhile, thickly slice 5cm of the ginger. Place ginger and shallot cut into thirds into the chicken cavity.
- Reduce heat to low. Lower chicken, breast-side down, into saucepan to completely submerge. Simmer chicken, covered, for 40 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside, covered, for 1 hour (remaining chicken will continue to cook).
- Meanwhile, cut remaining ginger into matchsticks. Place in a heatproof bowl with sesame oil, sugar and soy sauce and stir to combine. Heat peanut oil in a small frying pan over high heat. Pour over soy mixture and stir to combine.
- Carefully remove chicken. Strain broth, discarding any solids. Return 2 cups of stock to pan and return to the boil. Discard remaining stock (see Cook’s Notes).
- Steam cabbage over a saucepan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, remove skin, ginger and shallot from chicken cavity. Discard. Remove breast meat from bone and separate legs from the breast. Remove leg meat from the bone. Cut chicken into pieces and place on a platter. Sprinkle with coriander. Serve with rice, cucumber, cabbage, broth and dipping sauce.