Gluten-free ginger and apricot sponge roll
4 medium, separated
Granulated stevia sweetener
12 g, (½ cup)
½ cup(s), (75g) gluten-free
Flour, plain, gluten free
¼ cup(s), (35g)
2 tbs, white chia seeds
Apricot, canned in natural juice, drained
99% fat-free vanilla yoghurt, sweetened
2 tsp, gluten-free
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 26cm x 32cm Swiss roll tin with oil. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sweetener, beating until dissolved. Beat in egg yolks.
- Sift cornflour, plain flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice into a medium bowl. Repeat. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture. Fold in 1 tablespoon boiling water. Pour mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until sponge bounces back when lightly touched.
- Place a sheet of baking paper the same size as the tin on a clean tea towel. Turn hot sponge onto paper and peel away lining paper. Trim edges. Roll sponge (in towel) from 1 short side. Cool.
- Meanwhile, place chia seeds in a bowl and cover with ¼ cup (60ml) cold water. Set aside for 10 minutes or until thickened. Process apricots in a food processor until smooth. Transfer apricot puree to a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chia seeds and stir jam to combine (see tip).
- Unroll sponge and spread with ½ cup apricot chia jam. Top with yoghurt. Using paper as a guide, re-roll sponge from same short side to enclose filling. Serve dusted with icing sugar.