Chai French toast
This delightfully fancy brekkie is a lighter take on the traditional French toast. The strawberries give a pop of sweetness and the toast a subtle chai flavour.
½ cup(s), (250ml)
Tea, chai, original
250 g, hulled, sliced
Freshly squeezed orange juice
Wholemeal sourdough bread
160 g, (4 x 40g day old slices)
- Heat milk in a microwave-safe jug for 1 minute on high (100%) or until hot. Add chai tea bag and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse and cool.
- Combine strawberry, orange juice and honey in a small bowl and set aside, stirring occasionally.
- Discard tea bag and whisk milk and eggs in a large shallow dish. Place bread slices in egg mixture and leave to soak for 10 minutes, turning once, until bread has absorbed milk mixture.
- Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat on medium. Cook bread slices for 2 minutes each side or until lightly golden and egg has set.
- Top with strawberry and drizzle with syrup to serve.
TIP: Make sure you use day-old bread (or even 2 days old), as it absorbs the egg mixture better than fresh.