Beef and ale pie
Trimmed beef chuck steak
700 g, cut into chunks
1 medium, thickly sliced
5 medium, cut into 2cm chunks
250 g, cup variety, quartered
½ cup(s), (125 ml), dark variety
Fresh bay leaf
1 tbs, (3 sprigs)
1 tbs, 3 sprigs
1 medium, lightly beaten
Reduced-fat puff pastry
145 g, (170g with 15% discarded), just thawed
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Toss beef and flour together in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Lightly spray a large non-stick saucepan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook beef for 5 minutes or until brown (you may need to do this in batches). Transfer to a plate.
- Lightly spray same pan with oil. Cook onion, carrots and mushrooms, stirring, for 7-8 minutes or until soft. Return beef to pan with its juices. Add ale, stock, bay leaf and herbs. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Place cornflour in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of the liquid from pan. Whisk in vegemite, then stir into pan. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until sauce has reduced and thickened. Remove and discard bay leaf and herbs.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Transfer stew to a 1.5 litre (6-cup) deep baking dish. Brush edges of dish with egg and cover with pastry, pressing it to sides of dish and crimping edges with a fork. Trim off and discard excess, then cut three slits in top of pastry using a sharp knife. Brush egg all over. Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave broccolini and snow peas until just tender. Serve with pie.