PersonalPoints™ per serving
With just five ingredients, this matzo dessert is an easy sweet treat to end your Passover meal. It pairs matzo, an unleavened bread, with bittersweet chocolate, butter, and brown sugar. You can vary the recipe by choosing salted matzo for a salted caramel taste or using egg matzo for a richer flavour. Make it more decorative by piping the chocolate in zig-zag, polka dot, or stripe patterns—or a combination of all of those. Add chopped walnuts, pistachios, or peanuts for an even more decadent treat. Experimentation is welcome in this simple dessert, and it is great recipe to make with children.
4 item(s), unsalted, salted or egg varieties
Packed light brown sugar
2½ oz, chopped or shaved into tiny pieces
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil; cover foil with parchment paper. Arrange matzo on parchment in a single layer; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine butter and sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 3 minutes. Evenly drizzle butter mixture over matzo.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF. Place cookie sheet on middle rack in oven for 15 minutes (check frequently to make sure it doesn’t burn). Remove matzo from oven; sprinkle with chocolate. Let it stand for about 5 minutes, then spread the chocolate over each sheet with a spatula that’s been coated with cooking spray.
- While still warm, cut each matzo into four even pieces; spread out in a single layer on pan, then place in freezer until chocolate sets, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Yields 1 piece (1/4 of a sheet of matzo) per serving.