Coffee-Glazed Chocolate Brownies
Whole wheat flour
Regular instant coffee powder
Unsweetened cocoa powder
70-85% dark chocolate
Packed brown sugar
1 medium egg(s), lightly beaten
¼ cup(s), chopped
Fat free skim milk
¾ tsp(s), warmed
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 20cm square cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, plain flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. In a cup, stir together 2 tablespoons of boiling water and ¼ teaspoon of coffee powder until powder is completely dissolved. In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa, coffee mixture, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate on High for 20 seconds or until melted (see notes). Whisk in oil until smooth. Whisk in brown sugar until combined. Whisk chocolate mixture into cocoa mixture. Whisk in egg until combined. Add flour mixture and walnuts and stir until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- To make glaze: In a cup, stir together remaining coffee powder and heated milk until powder is completely dissolved. Add icing sugar and stir until mixture forms a smooth paste. Using a small spoon, drizzle glaze over brownies. Cut into 12 bars.
- Serving size: 1 bar