Chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow filling
1 hr 40 min
With the sweet marshmallow filling, chocolate topping, and iconic white squiggle design on top, these treats will satisfy nostalgic cravings for Hostess CupCakes—and are much lower in Points. The cupcakes include almond milk and pumpkin puree for moisture and are each filled with a standard-sized marshmallow, which softens into a gooey filling as the cupcakes cool.
Monk fruit sweetener with erythritol
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Plain unsweetened almond milk
1¼ tsp(s), divided
1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
Plain fat free Greek yogurt
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
Lily's Dark chocolate premium baking chips
3 oz, or similar product
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 8 cups of a standard muffin tin with foil or paper liners; lightly coat the liners with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, monk fruit sweetener, cocoa, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, pumpkin, oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and egg. Add the almond milk mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Divide the batter evenly among the 8 prepared muffin cups. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes.
- While the cupcakes bake, in a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, powdered sugar, and remaining ¼ teaspoon vanilla. Scrape the yogurt mixture into a small zip-top plastic bag; refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the cupcakes are done, place the muffin pan on a wire rack. Immediately cut out the middle of each cupcake using a paring knife and a spoon, and scoop out some of the cupcake to make a well in the center (reserve the trimmings). Stuff 1 marshmallow into each cupcake. Carefully remove the cupcakes (in the liners) from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Trim the cake trimmings and top each cake with a piece to smooth the top. Remove the cupcake liners.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and 2 ½ tablespoons water. Microwave on High until melted, about 45 seconds, stopping every 15 seconds to stir. Stir until the chocolate is completely smooth. Spread the chocolate mixture evenly over the cupcakes. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 15 minutes.
- Snip a small hole in the corner of the bag containing the yogurt mixture; pipe the mixture in a squiggle design over each cupcake.
- Serving size: 1 cupcake