Why tracking your food and activity helps you lose weight
At WW, we know that tracking is a key indicator of success on the program. Here we delve into the why, and offer a few pointers to make it even easier.
Keeping a record of what you eat and drink and will do more to help you succeed at weight loss than almost anything else. Tracking keeps you accountable, mindful, and knowledgeable. You’re more likely to make positive food choices when you’ve committed to writing down every bite you eat (even on days you go over your SmartPoints® Budget). And you're better able to choose what foods are "worth it" to you!
The good thing is, you don’t have to be perfect—it’s more important to be consistent and to give tracking your best shot. your portions, if you’re not able to weigh and measure them, is fine. Skipping a meal is fine—so long as you get back in the saddle at your next meal or as soon as you can. To help you with tracking, we have a bunch of resources, literally at your fingertips.
A FEW POINTERS:
- BE AS ACCURATE AS YOU CAN. But even if you’re just guessing the SmartPoints value, that’s good, too.
- TRACK “IN THE MOMENT.” It can be hard to remember what you’ve eaten by the end of the day, so track as you go or snap a pic for tracking later. If you don’t manage to track immediately, just try to get back to it the next time you eat.
- BE KIND TO YOURSELF. Not every day is going to be perfect. And that’s OK. Focus on small, simple things (like planning your next meal) and you’ll be right back in the game.
On WW you earn FitPoints for the activities you do. FitPoints are calculated based on each individual: their age, gender, and weight and type of activity. Earn more FitPoints when you engage in strength-training and higher-intensity activities vs. lower-intensity activities. Simply put, you get more out of your workout minutes, which makes it easier for you to meet your goals.
If you feel like you are eating into your weeklies too fast, change your settings to swap your FitPoints. This ensures you will chip away at your FitPoints before touching your weeklies.
- Go into your settings on the app or in My Day.
- Go to Food Settings
- Click on “Swapping”
- Tap on Swap my FitPoints first
- You’re all set!
Want to make tracking FitPoints even easier? Try syncing your fitness device with your WW app!
Tips for syncing your device
It's the simplest way to keep track of your FitPoints.
- Open the WW app
- Tap your Profile icon.
- Then, tap the gear icon.
- Next, tap Activity Settings
- Select Device (for iOS) or Activity Sync (for Android)
- Tap Device again and you'll see a dropdown menu of all the branded devices you can sync. Tap the one you own to log in!