Veggie Sandwich with Lemony-Black Bean Spread
|Total Time: 0:45||Prep Time: 0:20||Cook Time: 0:10||Serves: 4||Difficulty: Easy|
Mashed avocado fills in for mayonnaise in this healthy, tasty sandwich. Sprinkle the avocado with fresh lemon juice and salt for a boost of flavour.
- 1 large sweet red pepper(s), cored and quartered
- 15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove(s), medium sized garlic clove(s), smashed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp table salt
- 8s lice(s)reduced-calorie whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1⁄2 medium English cucumber(s), thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) fresh baby spinach
- 1⁄2 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- Preheat broiler. Place pepper quarters on a rimmed baking sheet, skin-side up; broil 5 minutes. Rotate pan; broil until skin is blackened and blistered, about 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer peppers to a bowl; tightly cover. Let peppers steam until cool enough to handle, about 10 to 15 minutes; remove skin with your hands and cut pepper quarters into strips.
- Place beans, garlic, lemon juice, oil, cumin and salt in bowl of a food processor; process until smooth.
- Spread about 1/4 cup bean mixture on each of 4 slices toast; top each with 1/4 of roasted pepper, cucumber and spinach. Spread avocado onto remaining slices toast; top sandwiches with toast and serve.
Serving size: 1 sandwich.
Both the roasted pepper and the bean spread can be made up to three days ahead and refrigerated. Add thinly sliced grilled chicken breast or turkey for meat-lovers (any additions could affect the SmartPoints value).