Vanilla Basil Meringue Nests with Strawberries
Published April 10, 2017
|Prep Time: 0:25||Cook Time: 3:00||
- 4 large egg white(s), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar, (125 ml)
- 1 pinch table salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, (2 ml)
- 1 Tbsp basil, (15 ml), minced, (plus extra leaves for garnish)
- 4 cup(s), raw strawberries, (1 L), quartered
- 1/4 cup(s) Store-bought balsamic glaze, (60 ml)
- Preheat oven to 105 °C (225 °F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Flip over paper; draw eight 9.5-cm (3 3/4-in)circles in pencil, leaving some space between each. Flip paper over again; place back on baking sheet, with circles facing down.
- In a mixing bowl over simmering water, stir together (by hand) egg whites, sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot, 2 minutes; remove from heat (egg whites will be foamy).
- Using a whisk attachment on an electric mixer, beat egg whites on high until cool and stiff peaks form, about 8 to 10 minutes; stir in vanilla and basil. Evenly divide meringue among 8 circles, using back of a spoon to create 2-cm (3/4-in) high circles with slight depressions in center.
- Bake meringues for 2 1/2 hours; turn off oven and let meringues sit in oven to cool and dry, about 2 hours more.
- Fill each meringue with 1/2 c strawberries; drizzle each with 7 ml (1/2 Tbsp) balsamic glaze (garnish with basil, if desired).
Notes: Serving size: 1 pavlova, 125 ml (1/2 cup) strawberries, 7 ml (1/2 Tbsp) glaze