Sweet Potato and Onion Salad
SmartPoints: 3 | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 55 min | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Easy
Roasting brings out the sweetness of the potatoes and onions in this terrific side dish. For a smoky flavour, grill the vegetables instead.
- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 large uncooked sweet potato(es), peeled, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup(s) uncooked red onion(s), cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄4 tsp chili powder
- 1⁄4 tsp table salt
- 1⁄8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 oz frozen apple juice concentrate (undiluted), about 2 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes and onion on prepared baking sheet and coat with cooking spray; toss to mix and coat. Roast until tender, about 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly; spoon into a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together chili powder, salt, pepper, vinegar and apple juice concentrate; spoon over vegetables and toss to coat. Yields about 2/3 cup per serving.
Add more spice by substituting 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle chile flakes for the chili powder.