SmartPoints: 2 | Prep Time: 13 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Serves: 8 | Difficulty: Easy
This light and bright tasting soup is full of spring vegetables and fresh dill. Want to make it a main dish? Stir in some cooked chicken.
- 6 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup(s) uncooked orzo
- 2⁄3 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), diced
- 1 1⁄2 cup(s) uncooked asparagus, sliced diagonally in bite-size pieces
- 1 cup(s) frozen green peas
- 4 medium uncooked scallion(s), sliced
- 1⁄3 cup(s) dill, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tsp table salt
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add orzo and carrots; boil 7 minutes.
- Add asparagus and frozen peas; boil until orzo and vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in scallions, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
A few handfuls of fresh baby spinach stirred in at the end of cooking would be a nice addition to this soup. Change up the flavour by substituting fresh parsley for the dill and serving sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese (could affect PointsPlus value).