Scale not budging? Focus on this instead
Paying attention to wins that have nothing to do with the scale reinforces healthy habits (good) and helps you recognize the progress you’ve made (even better). Whether or not the scale goes the way you hope this week, reflect on your non-scale victories (NSVs). It’ll help you stay inspired.
3 fast facts
The scale isn’t the only way to measure progress. A few NSVs:
1. New habits you’ve formed
- Behavioural goals you’ve reached
- Better sleep
- More energy
2. Paying attention to NSVs reminds us that the journey isn’t just about losing weight or keeping it off, but about forming healthy habits and improving how you feel and what you can do.
3. Reflecting on NSVs when the number on the scale isn’t what you were hoping for can help you recognize progress and stay inspired to move forward.
This week’s technique
Focus on the positive changes you’ve made recently that aren’t tied to the scale.
1. Identify non-scale victories. Pinpoint three healthy habits you’ve adopted, experiences you’ve had, or changes you’ve seen in your body (that have nothing to do with the scale) over the past month.
2. Consider the impact. Think about the effect of these changes. Maybe new dinner recipes helped you discover more veggies you love and upped your confidence in the kitchen.
3. Enjoy your successes. Notice how it feels to celebrate NSVs. Is it different from when you’re focused on weight? Try jotting down your NSVs in a journal before your weigh-in each week!