Roasted Beet and Orange Salsa
SmartPoints: 0 | Prep Time: 12 min | Cook Time: 60 min | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Easy
This salsa is so versatile. It can be eaten alone as a salad, spooned over roasted chicken or fish, or used to top tacos.
- 1 pound(s) uncooked beets, red and/or yellow
- 2 medium orange(s), navel
- 1⁄4 cup(s) uncooked red onion(s)
- 1⁄3 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp jalapeño pepper(s), minced
- 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp cumin seeds
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Individually wrap beets in foil and place on a baking sheet; roast until beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, segment oranges (to see a video of this technique, click here ). Cut each segment into bite-size pieces and place in a medium bowl; squeeze juice from orange membranes over bowl. Add onion, cilantro, vinegar, jalapeno, salt and cumin seeds; toss to mix and coat.
- When cool enough to handle, remove foil from beets and rub off skins with your hands. Dice beets and add to orange mixture; gently toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
For a different flavour, try mint instead of cilantro and apples instead of oranges.