Quinoa and Spinach
SmartPoints: 3 | Prep Time: 12 min | Cook Time: 25 min | Serves: 8 | Difficulty: Easy
Quinoa’s delicate flavour pairs well with spinach. Since it’s not an actual grain, it makes an excellent Passover side dish.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), minced
- 1 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 cup(s) Organic Quinoa, uncooked, rinsed (or purchase pre-rinsed quinoa)*
- 2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄8 tsp black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cup(s) fresh spinach, baby leaves, packed, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp table salt
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until quinoa starts to turn golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth, black pepper and red pepper flakes to skillet; bring to a boil. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low and simmer for 13 minutes; stir in spinach. Cover skillet and cook until spinach and quinoa are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 3 to 5 minutes; season with salt. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
*To rinse quinoa, place quinoa in a fine wire-mesh sieve. Place in sink and set under cold running water until water runs clear; shake off excess liquid. Quinoa is available in the grain or natural food section of the supermarket.