SmartPoints: 7 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Easy
Sauteed ground beef is flavoured with fennel, garlic, pepper and fire-roasted tomatoes. Tossed with broccoli rabe and pasta, it makes a terrific, hearty main meal.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3⁄4 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 tsp fennel seed
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted recommended
- 1⁄4 tsp table salt
- 1⁄2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
- 12 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, penne rigate suggested
- 1 pound(s) cooked broccoli, Rabe, ends trimmed, cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add beef and fennel seeds to skillet; cook, breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, red pepper flakes and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions, adding broccoli rabe to pasta water 5 minutes before pasta will be done; cook until pasta and broccoli rabe are tender.
- Drain pasta and broccoli rabe; return to pot. Add sauce, and toss to mix and coat; transfer to a serving bowl. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.