Fresh Pea Soup with Mint
SmartPoints: 4 | Prep Time: 14 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Easy
Delicious hot or cold. This soup can be made with fresh peas or frozen baby peas, whichever you have on hand.
- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1⁄2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup(s) uncooked leek(s), white part only, finely chopped
- 3 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 5 cup(s) uncooked green peas, fresh, shelled or 20 oz frozen baby peas
- 1⁄3 cup(s) mint leaves, fresh, or to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp table salt, or more to taste
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or more to taste
- 1⁄2 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- Coat a large heavy pot with cooking spray and set over medium-low heat; melt butter in pot.
- Add leeks; cook, stirring occasionally, until transparent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in peas; cook until peas are tender crisp, about 3 minutes for frozen peas and 5 to 6 minutes for fresh peas.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in mint, salt and pepper. Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or in small batches using your blender or food processor); stir in milk. Serve warm or chilled. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Garnish the soup with pea tendrils for a pretty presentation. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth to make this vegetarian. Substitute tarragon for the mint, if you prefer. You can replace the buttermilk with plain nonfat Greek yogurt (could affect PointsPlus values.)