|Prep Time: 0:10||Cook Time: 1:15||Serves: 8|
Curry Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 6 cup(s) uncooked butternut squash, cubed, seeds reserved
- 1 medium uncooked carrot(s), cubed
- 2 rib(s), medium uncooked celery, diced
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), diced
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 medium fresh peeled apple slice(s), cored, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 6 cup(s)reduced sodium vegetable broth, 5-6 cups
- 4 tsp squash seeds (unhulled) (reserved)
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp cilantro (optional)
- 13 1⁄2fl oz light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and place the butternut squash and carrot in an even layer. Roast for 1 hour, or until tender, stirring occasionally
Once 40 minutes has elapsed, set a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the oil, celery and onion and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Next, add the garlic, ginger and apple and sauté another five minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the curry powder, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Set aside 1 teaspoon of the spice blend.
Remove the squash and carrot from the oven and reduce heat to 350F. Add the roasted squash and carrot, and spice blend to the stock pot and stir to coat.
Add the vegetable stock and let the soup come to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, or until the squash is soft enough to crush with the back of a spoon.
Add the coconut milk, and working in batches, or using an immersion blender, blitz the soup until smooth
Arrange the reserved squash seeds on a parchment lined baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Dust with reserved spice blend and roast for 10-15 minutes, or until crisp.
Serve soup garnished with spice roasted squash seeds.