SmartPoints: 6 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 45 min | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Easy
This lightened up beans and rice recipe is part of a traditional Cuban menu. Pair it with lean turkey picadillo and a pineapple and avocado salad for a delicious meal.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (30 ml)
- 2 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 1 item(s) uncooked bell pepper(s), green variety, finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 tsp table salt (5 ml)
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin (2 ml)
- 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano (2 ml)
- 1 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 3⁄4 cup(s) uncooked white rice (175 ml) long-grain, rinsed
- 15 oz canned low sodium black beans (450 ml) or no salt added, with liquid
- 1 cup(s) water (250 ml)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (15 ml)
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add bacon; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5-6 minutes. Add onion and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring a few times, 30 seconds. Stir in salt, cumin, oregano, bay leaf and rice.
- When rice is coated with oil, add beans and their liquid, water and vinegar; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover; simmer until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed, 20-30 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat; cover and let sit 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Serving size: 175 ml (3/4 cup)