Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
SmartPoints: 8 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 13 min | Serves: 4 | Difficulty: Easy
Homemade gumbo in 25 minutes or less? Absolutely! Use a frozen mix of corn, bell pepper, okra and onion and you’ll be eating in no time.
- 6 oz uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 oz beef or pork summer sausage(s), spicy (chicken, turkey or pork), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 package(s) frozen gumbo style vegetables, 10 oz (corn, pepper, okra, onion)
- 1 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 tsp dried thyme
- 1⁄8 tsp table salt
- 1⁄8 tsp black pepper
- 1 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1 medium uncooked scallion(s), green part only, chopped
- Generously spray Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add chicken and sausage and brown, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Stir in frozen vegetables and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are thawed, 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour. Cook 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth and scrape up any browned bits in bottom of Dutch oven.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. Place in 4 bowls, sprinkle with scallions and serve. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.