|Prep Time: 0:20||Cook Time: 0:16||Serves: 4|
Quinoa is a good source of protein and makes a wonderful substitute for rice in salads. Buy the prerinsed variety to save time.*
- 1 1⁄2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or water
- 3⁄4 cup(s) uncooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 2 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup(s )uncooked sugar snap peas, sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
- 1 cup(s) shredded carrot(s)
- 1 cup(s) shredded red cabbage
- 1 small sweet red pepper(s), thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro
- 2 Tbsp uncooked scallion(s), thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine broth and quinoa; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, marmalade, oil, ginger and salt; set aside.
- After quinoa has cooked for 10 minutes, toss in snap peas to partially steam them; cover and simmer until most of liquid has been absorbed, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in carrots, cabbage, peppers and dressing; mix to thoroughly combine. Garnish with cilantro, scallions and sesame seeds. Serve warm, room temperature or chilled. Yields about 1 heaping cup per serving.
*Check the box of quinoa you bought to see if it has been "prerinsed". If not, rinse the quinoa in a colander before cooking to remove its bitter outer coating. Use prepackaged coleslaw mix or shredded vegetables to speed the preparation of this dish.