Southern-style chicken with mash
SmartPoints® value per serving
Fakeaway Friday is made even tastier with this new take on ‘fried’ chicken
Schwartz Cajun Seasoning
Chicken Thigh, Skinless, Boneless, raw
Calorie controlled cooking spray
1 clove(s), crushed
200 g, baby leaf
- Combine 250ml of the buttermilk and the Cajun seasoning in a medium bowl. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat. Cover and transfer to the fridge to marinate for at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread the cornflakes onto a large plate. Remove the chicken from the marinade, one piece at a time, shaking off any excess marinade, then coat in the cornflakes. Put the chicken on the prepared tray and mist with cooking spray. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the chopped potatoes in a large pan of boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and return to the pan, stirring to remove any excess moisture. Remove from the heat, then mash the potatoes with the remaining buttermilk until smooth. Season to taste.
- Mist a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and set over a medium-high heat.Cook the crushed garlic for 10 seconds, stirring, or until fragrant. Add the spinach and 60ml water and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.
- Spoon the mashed potato onto plates and top with the chicken. Serve with the wilted spinach on the side.
Chicken thighs are extra juicy, but you can use skinless chicken breast fillets instead for just 6 SmartPoints per serving.