Mac 'n' cheese
White pasta, dry
260 g, macaroni
Plain White Flour
1½ tablespoons, level
Low Fat Spread
Half Fat Cheddar Cheese
100 g, grated
1 teaspoons, level
¼ teaspoon(s), level, large pinch
200 g, tenderstem, to serve
1 tablespoons, leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas mark 5. Cook the macaroni according to pack instructions, then drain.
- Whisk the flour with 100ml of the milk until smooth. Pour into a pan and gently heat, stirring constantly until it starts to thicken. Gradually add the remaining milk, whisking until smooth, then simmer gently for 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Add the spread to the sauce, along with two-thirds of the cheese, the mustard, cayenne pepper and some freshly ground black pepper. Allow the cheese to melt, then stir to combine. Season to taste.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir until coated, then pour everything into a 20cm baking dish. Combine the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and scatter over the pasta, then bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli in a pan of boiling water for 5-6 minutes until just tender. Scatter the parsley over the mac ’n’ cheese, then serve with the broccoli.