Transform your simple vegies salads with our quick tips for building a delicious and filling vegetarian salad.
6 quick tips for building a tasty vegetarian salad
1. Add green vegetables like broccoli, spinach and avocado to your salads. Why? Because green vegetables and fruits are packed with nutrients including vitamin A, iron, calcium and antioxidants.
2. Spice up your veg - Roasting vegetables like pumpkin and sweet potato in spices including; cumin, coriander, ginger or garam masala with a few sprays of cooking oil to add an extra layer of flavour to your salad.
3. Add some fibre - Lentils and legumes work well in salads by adding texture, flavour and are sources of fibre which will keep your tummy happy.
4. Add some protein - Quinoa, buckwheat or tofu are all good options for adding extra protein and work well in salads. Legumes including beans and lentils are also a great vegetarian option for adding protein.
5. Add a handful of nuts – Sprinkle almonds, walnuts, pistachio or pine nuts over the top of your salad for added crunch.
6. Pick what’s in season. Cooking with what’s in season is always best as it is more cost-effective as well as it ensures you are using fresh, flavoursome ingredients to fill your salad.
Recipes for vegetarian salad
Put some of these tips to use in our selection of tasty vegetarian salad recipes below. With recipes including cauliflower fattoush with roasted cauliflower, crispy pita bread and a yoghurt, sumac dressing bring the flavours of the Mediterranean to your dinner table. Or try making some super easy home-made hummus in our recipe for roasted beetroot and pumpkin salad. To make the hummus simply add the ingredients to a food processor and blend. Top hummus with roasted pumpkin and beets, fresh radish and fresh herbs for a super tasty vegetarian salad.