6 ways to make lasagne healthier
Using a few of these healthy swaps when you next make lasagne can make a mighty difference without compromising on flavour.
1. Use lean mince. Swapping beef, lamb or pork mince for the leaner varieties will reduce the saturated fat content of the dish.
2. Watch your choice of cheese. When choosing cheese for your lasagne, pick the reduced-fat variety. Reducing the quantity or replacing mozzarella cheese in a traditional lasagne for a combination of reduced-fat ricotta cheese, low-fat cottage cheese or parmesan cheese will ensure you get the creamy cheesy flavour without the extra SmartPoints.
3. Make it vegetarian. Replace mince with vegies like mushrooms, pumpkin, spinach or grated zucchini. Try using slices of eggplant in place of pasta sheets for a great gluten-free idea.
4. Add more legumes. You can reduce the amount of mince required by adding in legumes such as canned kidney beans, chickpeas or lentils.
5. Use wholemeal lasagnae sheets. Swap regular sheets for the wholemeal variety to boost the fibre content of your lasagne. 6. Watch your serving size. Serve your lasagne with an Italian-inspired salad made from rocket, tomato and basil and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. If there are leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. It’s also perfect for a warm lunch the next day!