Shredded beef and pickled cabbage soft tacos
Lean beef blade steak
800 g, (buy 1kg)
1 medium, chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
1 cup(s), (250ml)
Canned diced tomatoes
¼ cup(s), (60ml), apple cider
Dried chilli flakes
10 small, (10 x 25g)
3 cup(s), (240g), finely shredded
½ medium, very thinly sliced
2 tbs, apple cider, extra
Extra light sour cream
½ cup(s), (120g)
1 cup(s), leaves
- Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the stock, tomato, vinegar, sauce, sugar and chilli flakes.
- Return the beef to the pan. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer, over very low heat, for 3 hours or until tender, turning the meat twice during cooking.
- Combine the cabbage, onion and extra vinegar in a glass or ceramic dish. Season with salt and toss to combine. Set aside for 20 minutes to pickle.
- Shred the beef with 2 forks. Serve the shredded beef with the pickled cabbage, warm tortillas, sour cream and coriander.