Sarah Van Dyke's apple crumble muffins
SmartPoints® value per serving
Recipe by our WW Ambassador Sarah. Follow her on Instagram @sarahs_recipes.
6 individual, pitted, chopped
Bicarbonate of soda
Canned apple slices
385 g, (1 x 385g can)
White self-raising flour
¾ cup(s), (115g)
2 medium, lightly beaten
Reduced fat oil spread
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 6-hole (¾-cup capacity) Texas muffin tin with paper cases.
- Combine dates and ¼ cup (60 ml) boiling water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on High (100%) for 1 minute. Add bicarbonate of soda and mash dates with a fork (mixture will foam).
- Process half the apple in a food processor or blender until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons flour. Add remaining flour, pureed apple, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and egg to date mixture and stir until just combined.
- Combine reserved flour, sugar and remaining cinnamon in a bowl. Using fingertips, rub in spread until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon date mixture into each paper case. Top each with one-sixth of the remaining apple slices. Spoon the remaining date mixture over apple to cover. Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake for 18–20 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Stand muffins in tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Store muffins in an airtight container for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 2 months. VARIATION: Swap apple for diced canned apricot.