Pistachio and apricot stuffed chicken
chicken breast with skin
970 g, (buy 6 x 180g breasts)
¼ cup(s), (40g) finely chopped
1 small, finely chopped
70 g, (1 cup) day old bread, made into breadcrumbs
¼ cup(s), (35g) kernals, lightly toasted and finely chopped
reduced fat oil spread
¾ cup(s), (180mL) salt-reduced
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine the apricot and brandy in a small bowl and set aside for 15 minutes to macerate.
- To make the stuffing, lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat. Add the breadcrumbs, pistachio, thyme and apricot mixture. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Set aside to cool completely.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a slit in the side of each chicken fillet to make a small pocket. Spoon the stuffing into pockets and secure each with a toothpick. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Lightly spray a large flameproof, ovenproof baking dish with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden.
- Meanwhile, combine the honey, spread, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Brush the skin-side of the chicken with half the glaze. Bake chicken for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm. Add the stock and remaining glaze to the baking dish and heat over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes or until glaze thickens slightly. Serve the chicken drizzled with the sauce.