Pear and chai cake
4 medium, ripe, peeled, halved, cored
Reduced fat oil spread
104 ml, 2 tsp for glazing
3 medium, lightly beaten
99% fat-free plain yoghurt
Bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp, crushed
5 whole, pods, bruised, seeds only
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly spray a 20cm x 30cm (base measurement) baking tin with oil. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Process one of the pears in a small food processor until a purée. Set aside.
- Using electric beaters, beat spread and maple syrup in a large bowl until smooth and well combined. Beat in eggs, yoghurt and pear purée.
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and ginger into a medium bowl. Add flour mixture, fennel seeds and cardamom seeds to egg mixture and stir until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin. Arrange remaining pear halves, cut side up, on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and brush over extra maple syrup. Set cake aside in tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve.