1 hr 25 min
A delicate dessert that has a famous silky smooth texture covered in a thin layer of flowing sweet caramel. All made with ingredients commonly found in the kitchen!
Instant coffee powder
⅔ cup(s), (150g)
2 cup(s), (500ml)
Vanilla bean paste
6 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 150°C or 130°C fan-forced. Lightly spray six ⅔-cup (160ml) capacity ovenproof dishes with oil.
- Place half the sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture turns golden. Remove from heat. Pour caramel into prepared dishes. Set aside for 10 minutes or until set.
- Whisk milk, eggs, egg whites, vanilla and remaining sugar in a medium bowl until combined. Strain milk mixture into a jug. Pour evenly over caramel in dishes.
- Place dishes in a large baking dish. Pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up sides of dishes. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until just set. Remove dishes from oven and water bath. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes. Cover and place in fridge overnight.
- Run a flat-bladed knife around the inside edge of each dish. Carefully invert crème caramels onto serving plates. Serve.