Chicken sausage and cherry tomato pasta
1 medium, thinly sliced
Extra lean chicken sausage(s)
Grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), (20g)
250 g, quartered
200 g, fusilli variety
2 clove(s), finely chopped
Dried chilli flakes
Chicken stock cube
1 individual, to make 350ml of stock
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Toast fennel seeds for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from pan and finely grind in a spice grinder or using a pestle and mortar. Set aside.
- Lightly spray same pan with oil. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Squeeze sausage meat out of casings and into pan and break up with a wooden spoon. Add ground fennel and chilli, and cook for 8 minutes or until meat is golden. Pour in stock and simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce is thick. Remove from heat and stir through parmesan and tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, or until tender.
- Drain pasta well and add to sausage mixture. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. Serve.
TIP: Use wholemeal pasta instead of white, if you prefer. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves to serve.