Dried shiitake mushrooms
Beef stock cube
1 individual, to make 4 cups (1L) stock
Lean beef sirloin steak, raw
400 g, (buy 450g), fat trimmed
Shelf fresh udon noodles
½ cup(s), leaves, coarsely chopped
2 individual, cut into thin strips
1 tbs, toasted (see tip)
- 1 Place mushrooms in a bowl and pour over 2 cups (500ml) boiling water. Soak for 5-6 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid. Discard stalks and chop any larger mushrooms. Set aside.
- Heat stock in a large saucepan. Stir tamarind puree and miso paste into stock. Add sugar and sriracha and bring to a simmer. Add mushrooms and reserved liquid and warm over a gentle heat.
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes on each side or to your liking. Transfer to a plate and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Cut into 1cm-thick slices.
- Meanwhile, add noodles to stock and heat through.
- Divide bean sprouts between 4 large, deep bowls and ladle over broth and noodles. Top with sliced sirloin and serve sprinkled with coriander, shallots and sesame seeds.