Air-fryer Colombian beef and potato empanadas
Lean beef mince
1 medium, finely chopped
180 g, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
1 medium, deseeded, cut into 1cm pieces
3 clove(s), crushed
⅓ cup(s), chopped
Reduced-fat puff pastry
380 g, (use 3 x 170g sheets), just thawed
1 medium, lightly beaten
1 cup(s), leaves
2 individual, fresh, chopped
3 individual, chopped
1 medium, chopped
White wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To make empanada filling, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook mince and onion, stirring, for about 3 minutes, until mince is browned and onion is softened. Reduce heat to medium and add potato and tomato. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes, or until potato is almost tender. Stir in garlic, chilli powder, cumin, and season with salt, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in coriander. Set aside to cool.
- Cut 4 x 11cm rounds from each pastry sheet. Place two heaped tablespoons of empanada filling on each pastry round. Fold over pastry to enclose filling and pinch edges together to seal. Place empanadas on prepared tray.
- Line a 7.5L air fryer basket with baking paper. Preheat air fryer to 180°C.
- Place 4 empanadas in prepared basket. Brush tops with egg. Air fry for 8 minutes. Turn empanadas over and brush with egg. Air fry for a further 6 minutes, or until golden. Place on a baking tray and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining empanadas.
- Meanwhile, to make aji picante sauce, pulse all remaining ingredients in a food processor until a chunky puree forms. Season with salt and pepper. Serve empanadas with aji picante sauce.