Blueberry Breakfast Rice Pudding
|Prep Time: 0:10||Cook Time: 0:13||Serves: 4|
This flavour packed breakfast is a great and nutritious way to start your day.
Did you know that blueberries are native to North America and in addition to being delicious they are nutritional powerhouses. As one of the few “true blue” foods, blueberries have high levels of anthocyanin which not only give them their deep blue colour but have been shown to have effects on preventing cancer and slowing the aging process.[i]
On top of being packed with antioxidants, the brown rice base in this breakfast is high in fibre and will keep you full and satisfied longer
So go on, who says you can't start your day with dessert? Our rice pudding is such a nutritious and delicious treat, you should feel free to eat it anytime.
- 1⁄4 cup(s) sugar
- 2 up(s) fat free skim milk
- 1⁄4 tsp table salt
- 3⁄4 cup(s) regular liquid egg substitute
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cup(s) long grain cooked brown rice
- 2 cup(s) unsweetened frozen blueberries, thawed
- Combine sugar, milk and salt in a medium pot; bring to a simmer.
- Place egg substitute into a bowl and add 1/2 cup of the milk mixture to the eggs; beat to warm up egg mixture. Add to pot with remaining milk mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is the consistency of pancake batter, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in zest and rice. Cook over low heat to warm, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and divide among 4 bowls. Top each with 1/2 cup of blueberries. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.