10 reasons to choose WW over keto
Although keto is super trendy, the reality is, it’s a restrictive diet that is difficult for the average person to stick to in the long run and lacks the science-backed history of WW.
Keto encourages eating a diet that is 80 per cent fat, but, makes no distinction between healthy and unhealthy fats. Keto also restricts all carbohydrates, and similar to its stance on fats—makes no distinction between types of carbohydrates.
The WW program uses our PersonalPoints system to distinguish between healthy fats and carbohydrates and not-so-healthy ones. Every food and drink is assigned a Points value, one easy-to-use number based on kilojoules, saturated fat, sugar, and protein. Foods that are higher in sugar and/or saturated fat are higher in Points values. Foods that are higher in protein are lower in Points values. By eating foods that have a lower Points value you’ll automatically be guided towards healthier choices.
The WW program is a sustainable approach to weight loss and healthy living that allows you to eat the foods you love – no foods are off limits, unlike keto which eliminates most carbohydrates.
10 reasons why you should consider WW over keto
1. Keto is a complex do-it-yourself diet that eliminates most carbohydrates and encourages you to eat a lot of fat. The WW program has been proven to be two times more effective for weight loss than doing it on your own.
2. Keto is hard to stick to because it eliminates a lot of foods. Maintaining a diet that is mostly fat and very low in carbohydrates is difficult for the long run for most people. Carbohydrates are not only found in bread and pasta but in foods with broader health benefits like fruits and vegetables. With the WW program, everything is on the menu, you can still eat the foods you love and see weight-loss success. And being able to still enjoy your favourite foods means you are more likely to stick to it long-term.
3. The keto diet is typically high in saturated fat which can increase the risk of heart disease and some cancers.
4. Keto does not align with the Australian Dietary Guidelines due to its emphasis on saturated fats, high-consumption of animal proteins, and limited fruits and vegetables. The WW program is aligned with the Australian Dietary Guidelines. Both encourage eating whole foods, fruits and vegetables, consuming lean sources of protein, and limiting saturated fats as doing so can help lower your risk of heart disease.
5. The WW program has been ranked #1 Best Diet for Weight Loss for the 12th consecutive year by U.S. News & World Report Rankings.
6. Keto will be challenging if you are vegan or vegetarian. Many of the high-fat foods that are recommended for the keto diet are animal-based, including butter, meat, cheese, and high-fat dairy. The WW program works well with a plant-based diet. Most fruits and vegetables are ZeroPoint™ foods on most plans. Plant-based sources of protein like tofu, beans, and lentils are also optional ZeroPoint foods.
7. Eating meals with friends and family, as well as eating out are much more manageable with WW as no foods are off-limits and you get a personalised Points Budget to use however you want. It can be difficult to prepare and consume keto foods in the context of work and family without multiple menus.
8. Keto has little social support. With WW you have the support of the entire WW community which you can access through our app or in person. You will get access to community support via Connect, 24/7 live chat to a Coach who can give you expert advice, or if you are a Studio member, you can get additional support at your WW Workshop each week.
9. The WW program is backed by science with over 100 published studies and numerous randomised clinical trials showing that WW is more effective for weight loss than self-help, university-based treatment, and physician advice. WW has also been shown to be effective among individuals with diabetes and prediabetes.
10. WW has many added bonuses you won’t get with keto! WW has partnered with Breethe and Obe to provide members with curated meditation and activity content to help them be successful on their wellness journey. All free for WW members.
The key to losing weight and maintaining weight loss is a holistic and sustainable approach. WW helps you to gradually build a healthier eating pattern, be a little more active each day, and learn how to shift your mindset, for long term weight loss success.