1 hr 30 min
1 hr 10 min
Fancy a fry up? This vegan version includes crisp, delicious carrot ‘bacon’.
Calorie controlled cooking spray
4 large, halved
Wholemeal bread, sliced
4 slice(s), medium, toasted
1½ tablespoon(s), level, sweet smoked, 1/2 tbsp for bacon, 1 for beans
1 teaspoon(s), level
2 can(s), large, cherry
Haricot Beans, cooked
1 can(s), large, drained
- Preheat the oven to 140°C, fan 120°C, gas mark 1 and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Toss all of the ‘bacon’ ingredients together in a mixing bowl, then arrange the carrot strips in a single layer on the prepared baking trays, reserving the marinade. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, basting with the reserved marinade halfway through, until the carrots are crisp. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the beans. Mist a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and set over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 6-8 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and spices and cook for another minute, then stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Mist a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and fry the mushrooms over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir through the parsley, then push the mushrooms to one side of the pan. Add the fresh tomatoes, cut side-down, and cook for 2 minutes, then turn over and cook for another minute.
- Top the toast with the beans and serve with the mushrooms, tomatoes and ‘bacon’.