Tomato olive tart
Plain White Flour
2 teaspoons, level, or dried mixed herbs
1 tablespoons, chilled, to mix
2 tablespoons, level
1 medium, red, thinly sliced
8 individual, halved
Olives, in Brine
12 individual, drained
20 g, shavings, or finely grated
4 leaf/leaves, large, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C/400°F.
- Put the flour, salt, margarine and mixed herbs into a large mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the margarine into the flour until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add just enough chilled water (3-4 tbsp) to make a soft (but NOT sticky) dough. Bring the dough together and knead lightly for a few seconds.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface using a floured rolling pin, into a circle measuring 30cm in diameter, trimming if necessary. Lift onto a baking sheet and pinch the edges together between your forefingers and thumbs to form a narrow rim.
- Spread the tomato puree over the surface of the tart. Arrange the red onion, tomatoes and olives evenly on top. Season, then sprinkle with the olive oil. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tart is cooked.
- Serve whilst warm, topped with shavings of Parmesan cheese and basil leaves.