Tomato olive tart
- Total Time
A herby scone base is topped with cherry tomatoes, olives and a little Parmesan cheese to make a fabulous savoury tart.
Plain White Flour200 g
Margarine, Soft50 g
Oregano, Dried2 teaspoons, level, or dried mixed herbs
Water1 tablespoons, chilled, to mix
Tomato Purèe2 tablespoons, level
Onion(s)1 medium, red, thinly sliced
Cherry Tomatoes8 individual, halved
Olives, in Brine12 individual, drained
Black pepper⅛ teaspoons
Olive Oil2 teaspoons
Parmesan Cheese20 g, shavings, or finely grated
Dried Basil4 leaf/leaves, large, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C/400°F.
- Put the flour, salt, margarine and mixed herbs into a large mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the margarine into the flour until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add just enough chilled water (3-4 tbsp) to make a soft (but NOT sticky) dough. Bring the dough together and knead lightly for a few seconds.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface using a floured rolling pin, into a circle measuring 30cm in diameter, trimming if necessary. Lift onto a baking sheet and pinch the edges together between your forefingers and thumbs to form a narrow rim.
- Spread the tomato puree over the surface of the tart. Arrange the red onion, tomatoes and olives evenly on top. Season, then sprinkle with the olive oil. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tart is cooked.
- Serve whilst warm, topped with shavings of Parmesan cheese and basil leaves.