Teriyaki steak & aubergine skewers
Beef sirloin steak, lean, raw
2 steak(s), medium, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 3cm pieces
1 medium, cut into 4cm cubes
1 medium, deseeded and cut into chunks
4 portion(s), large, thinly shredded
1 medium, peeled and grated
2 medium, trimmed, shredded, white and green parts separated
15 g, grated
1 zest(s) of 1
Lime Juice, Fresh
1 teaspoon(s), level
5 g, finely chopped
- Put the steak, aubergine and pepper into a large bowl and pour over the teriyaki sauce, reserving 1 tablespoon for later. Toss to coat and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw. Put the cabbage, carrot, the white parts of the spring onions and the ginger into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime zest and juice, oil and honey, and pour over the vegetables. Add the coriander, then toss everything together, cover and set aside in the fridge.
- Thread the steak, aubergine and pepper pieces onto 4 skewers alternating the meat and veg pieces. If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 10 minutes beforehand so they don’t burn.
- Heat a griddle pan or grill until hot. Cook the skewers for 6-8 minutes in two batches if necessary, turning often and brushing with the reserved teriyaki sauce, until the aubergine is tender and the kebabs are lightly charred.
- Scatter the sesame seeds and the green parts of the spring onions over the kebabs, then serve with the slaw on the side.