Steak and mushroom pie
- Total Time
Enjoy this tasty steak and mushroom pie. It's a great family meal and just as good as the one served in your local.
Calorie controlled cooking spray5 spray(s)
Beef stewing steak, lean, raw700 g, cubed
Onion(s)1 large, chopped
Vegetable stock cube(s)1 cube(s), beef in 450ml boiling water
Mushrooms225 g, sliced
Carrots, raw1 medium, sliced
Parsley, fresh2 tablespoons, chopped
Black pepper¼ teaspoons
Cornflour2 tablespoons, level, blended with 3-4 tablespoons cold water
Ready Rolled Puff Pastry Sheets225 g, thawed
Skimmed Milk1 tablespoons
- Heat the low fat cooking spray in a large saucepan and over a high heat add the cubes of stewing steak a handful at a time, so that they seal and brown. Add the onion and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the stock, mushrooms, carrot and parsley to the saucepan. Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is very tender. Check the level of liquid from time to time, topping up with a little extra water if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7/220°C/425°F.
- Season the cooked meat with salt and pepper. Stir in the blended cornflour and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Tip the mixture into an oblong baking dish.
- Lay the puff pastry sheet on top of the baking dish, trimming the edges with a sharp knife. Use the trimmings to make leaves for decoration. Position them on top, and brush the entire surface with milk. Bake for 25 30 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown.
- Serve with green vegetables and potatoes.