Spicy roasted parsnip soup
500 g, peeled and cut into chunks
1 teaspoons, level
1 large, chopped
1 medium, deseeded and chopped
Fresh Vegetable Stock
100 ml, vegetable
2 tablespoons, or parsley, chopped
Medium fat soft cheese
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C.
- Put the parsnips into a roasting pan and add the olive oil, cumin seeds and some black pepper. Toss to coat, then roast for 15-20 minutes, or until tender, turning once after 10 minutes.
- Reserve 8 pieces of roasted parsnip for garnish, then roughly chop the rest and put them into a large saucepan with the onion, pepper and vegetable stock. Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and use a hand-held stick blender to partially blend the soup so that it retains some texture. Alternatively, blend half the soup in a food processor until smooth, then return it to the saucepan. Add 1 tbsp chopped chives or parsley. Reheat and season to taste.
- Mix the soft cheese with the milk and remaining chives or parsley. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve with the soft cheese mixture spooned on top, garnished with the reserved parsnips.