Smoky tomato soup with pitta
Calorie controlled cooking spray
1 medium, finely diced
2 clove(s), crushed
2 tablespoons, level
2 teaspoons, level, smoked
¼ teaspoons, level
2 can(s), large
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), 250ml stock
1 teaspoons, level, runny
Wholemeal Pitta Bread
- Mist a large pan with cooking spray and place on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook together for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomato purée, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook for another minute until the purée has darkened slightly and the mixture smells fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, 250ml vegetable stock and honey, and stir well to combine. Lower the heat and continue to cook for 5 minutes until heated through and slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, toast the pittas and slice in half.
- Using a food processor or a stick blender, partially blitz the soup so that it’s still a little chunky. You can blitz all the way if you prefer a smoother texture.
- Season the soup to taste, then divide between four bowls. Serve sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper, and a toasted pitta on the side.