Smoky bean & barley burgers
Pearl barley, dry
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Chilli, Green or Red
Sweetcorn, canned, drained
1 can(s), medium
1 teaspoons, level, smoked
¼ teaspoons, level
Pinto Beans, cooked
1 can(s), large, drained
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw
Vegetarian Parmesan Style Hard Cheese
0% fat natural Greek yogurt
6 medium, wholemeal
Lime Juice, Fresh
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the barley then bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 35 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and spread out on a large plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, mist a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and set over a medium heat. Cook the chilli, onion and sweetcorn, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the vegetables start to brown. Add the garlic, paprika and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate to cool and wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper.
- Put the beans in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl, add the cooled barley along with the chilli and onion mixture, coriander, egg and cheese. Season and stir to combine. Transfer half of the mixture to a food processor and process until finely chopped but not completely smooth. Return the mixture to the bowl and stir to combine. Divide the bean mixture into 6 equal balls, then flatten to form 10cm round patties.
- Add the oil to the frying pan and set over a medium heat. Cook the burgers, in batches, for 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine the yogurt and lime juice and season.
- Split the burger buns and toast until golden, then top with the lettuce, bean burgers, lime yogurt and bun tops.