Scallop & leek risotto
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1½ cube(s), 1.9litres
6 medium, baby leeks
Low Fat Spread
1 large, diced
3 medium, white & green parts separated, both finely sliced
2 clove(s), crushed
Lemon Juice, Fresh
1 zest(s) of 1
Arborio rice, dry
50 g, finely grated
6 slice(s), thin , torn into bite size pieces
18 large, without roe
- Put the stock into a medium pan, bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Add the baby leeks to the pan and poach until tender, then lift from the stock and set aside. Keep the stock on the hob while you make the risotto.
- Melt the spread in a large flameproof casserole over a low heat, add the onion and the white parts of the leeks, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and increase the heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then add the stock, 2 ladlefuls at a time. Stir constantly until the rice has absorbed most of the stock, then add another 2 ladlefuls – repeat this process until the rice has been cooking for 15 minutes. Stir in the remaining leeks and continue to cook the risotto until the stock is all absorbed and the rice is creamy and tender – this will take another 10 or so minutes.
- Stir the lemon zest and juice, grated Parmesan and Parma ham into the risotto. Season to taste, remove from the heat and cover and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Season both sides of the scallops. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the scallops and sear for 2 minutes on one side, then turn them over and cook for 1 minute on the other side.
- Divide the risotto between plates, and top each with a single poached leek and three scallops to serve.