Strong White Flour (bread flour)
250 g, plus extra for dusting
Dried baking yeast
1½ tablespoons, plus extra for greasing
Sun Dried Tomatoes
Olives, in Brine
50 g, green, pitted
6 leaf/leaves, roughly chopped
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw, lightly beaten
- Sieve the flour in to a large mixing bowl, add the salt, sugar and yeast. Make a well in the centre then add most of the water and the oil and mix with a wooden spoon to form a soft dough, add the remaining water if the dough seems a little dry.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured work surface and kneed 7-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a tea town and leave in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile blot any excess oil off of the sundried tomatoes finely chop them and transfer to a bowl. Chop the green olives in to chunkier pieces and combine with the sundried tomatoes, basil and a little black pepper to create a tapenade like mixture.
- Once the dough has risen carefully tip it out of its bowl on to a lightly floured surface. Knock out the air by punching the dough and stretching it back and forth for several minutes. Roll the dough in to a rectangle about 36cm long and 22cm wide. Spread the tapenade mixture over the dough and dot with torn pieces of the mozzarella. Roll the dough tightly starting from the longest edge in to a sausage shape. Take a sharp knife and cut all the way up through the sausage leaving 3 cm at the top so that the two cut pieces are still attached. Then twist each side like a rope. Place the loaf on a baking sheet covered in parchment. Cover the dough with a lightly oiled piece of cling film and set aside in a warm spot of the kitchen to rise for a further 35 minutes. Preheat the oven to 220c, 200 fan, Gas 7.
- Once risen carefully brush the whole twisted loaf with the beaten egg and bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown, if the loaf becomes to brown halfway through cooking cover loosely with foil. Once cooked cool for 5 minutes then slice up and eat whilst warm.