Pesto chicken cobbler
Vegetarian parmesan style hard cheese
Lemon Juice, Fresh
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Chicken stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), 600ml
Chicken breast, skinless, raw
Half Fat Crème Frâiche
Plain White Flour
1 teaspoon(s), level
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw
- Make the pesto by blanching the kale for 1 minute in a large pan of salted, boiling water. Drain in a colander and refresh under cold running water. Squeeze out the excess water with your hands. Put the blanched kale, basil, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and cheese into a food processor and whizz to a chunky pesto. Season to taste, then set aside.
- Mist a large nonstick pan with cooking spray and fry the shallots and leeks over a medium heat, covered, for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Set aside on a plate.
- Put the stock and chicken into the same pan, and bring to a simmer. Season and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave the chicken to cool in the stock for 10 minutes, before lifting out onto a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Bring the stock up to the boil. Combine the cornflour with 3 tablespoons water then whisk it into the stock, until thickened. Simmer for 5 minutes then remove from the heat and stir in the cooked veg, crème fraîche and kale pesto. Shred the chicken and stir through the sauce, then tip into a medium baking dish.
- For the cobbler topping, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, egg, buttermilk and chives in a bowl and bring together to a sticky dough. Spoon 4 large spoonfuls of the dough over the chicken mixture. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the topping is risen and golden. Serve with the salad.